I know, I know, this is an automotive site, but I’m the editor so I can post what I want. Anyway, the guys around here at Motoropia are big fans of a good ol’ spicy Bloody Mary. We’re not going to get into the argument about whether it’s just a morning or brunch drink (although if you said it was, you’re just flat out wrong) or whether you can call a drink a Bloody Mary if something else, like gin or tequila, has been substituted for vodka (you can’t, by the way). What we are going to do is share our favorite Bloody Mary recipe – spicy, of course – for you to enjoy. So put down the tools and head to the kitchen to mix up a batch! And save some for us!
Oh, I almost forgot the best part: make sure to head to the store and pick up some thick cut bacon. Once you’ve had a nice, thick piece of skewered bacon served with your Bloody Mary as a garnish, you will never drink one any other way…
Ingredients (Makes 2 servings)
- 6 ounces of vodka (don’t skimp on quality, but you don’t have to go crazy expensive either – Smirnoff No. 21 will work just fine)
- 16 oz tomato juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh squeezed, preferably)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (fresh squeezed, preferably)
- 2 tsp of pickle juice
- 1 tsp olive juice
- 1 tsp pepperoncini juice
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 squirts of original Tabasco hot sauce
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- A few shakes black pepper
- 1 tbsp Slap Ya Mama All Natural Cajun Seasoning
- 2 Stalks of Celery
- 2 Strips of thick cut bacon
- 2 Bamboo skewers
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with foil. Thread the bacon slices on the bamboo skewers. Lightly douse slices with Tabasco hot sauce and sprinkle with Slap Ya Mama All Natural Cajun Seasoning. Lay the bacon strips on your baking sheet without overlapping them. Bake approximately 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven, turning the slices over when they are halfway cooked. Lay the slices on a paper towel lined plate and let cool. (Pro Tip: Cook your bacon beforehand and put it in the refrigerator until you are ready to imbibe.)
- With a piece of cut lemon, wet the rim of 2 pint glasses and then dip the rims into a tablespoon of Slap Ya Mama All Natural Cajun Seasoning that you have spread on a flat plate (I always like to use a paper plate, so I can just bend the plate in half and pour any leftover seasoning back into the shaker can).
- Mix all of your ingredients in a pitcher and stir well.
- Fill your 2 pint glasses with ice and fill with your mixture.
- Add a bacon slice and celery stalk to each glass for garnish. But don’t stop there, just because we said so – you are welcome to add skewered olives or pickles or whatever else your heart desires!
- Make another batch.
[Secret tip: In a pinch, you can’t go wrong with Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix. Just don’t tell anyone I said that!]